Friday, February 6, 2009

Lucky featuring Colbie Caillat


Lucky featuring Colbie Caillat


  • Original Release Date: May 20, 2008
  • Label: Atlantic Records/ATG
  • Copyright: 2008 Atlantic Recording Corporation for the United States and WEA International Inc. for the world outside of the United States. All Rights Reserved.
  • Song Length: 3:09 minutes
  • Genres: Pop/General, Alternative Rock/General, Rock/General
  • ASIN: B00192M0Q0
In a world of corporate radio cramming talentless and stupid songs down our throat, I find this one surprising. Have to admit, when I heard "featuring Colbie Cailat" I let out a groan and my expectations were low (I am NOT a fan). But, I love it.

Why? HARMONY. I mean, it's an actual duet. Not the crap that's usually put out there as a duet between a couple artists where I-sing-and-then-you-sing-and-then-we'll-sing-together-but-usually-the-same-notes-so-we-don't-get-confused. There's actual harmony in this song...and it even varies a little with some counter-melody. I didn't think anyone knew how to do that anymore!

So, even though the song is simplistic (it's a bit cheesy to the point that I thought Cailat might have written it, but then the sound of it just wasn't hers), I enjoy it. It's pure in it's vocals (we don't always need a bunch of production and guitar and noise) and a little more complex than it sounds.

Biggest reason to like it? Like so many Mraz songs, I just feel happy when I hear it. The intro puts a smile on my face and I can't help it. For someone who usually likes angst-ridden music, that's saying a lot!

No comments: